Aww here it goes!

In the words of Kenan and Kel, Aww Here it Goes! It’s hard to believe, but BotS has officially started, last Wednesday the 11 students and three professors embarked on our first field trip to the Roaring Creek Field Station, owned by Bucknell and DCNR (Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources). We all quickly bonded with each other and our professors over a BBQ and campfire. In the morning, we walked a beautiful three-mile path around the reservoir at the field station.

The view from the Dam at the Roaring Creek Field Station

Thursday afternoon we went to CLIMBucknell to bond as a group and build teamwork. There now is no sense of personal space between us, especially because we have a 15-person van for 14 people and all our stuff. We learned to trust each other, communicate without words and how to be great leaders and participants (everyone else learned how clutzy I am, I managed to sprain my ankle stepping on a tree root). We enjoyed each others triumphs and follies, all while laughing and smiling, so I know this will be a productive group.

Friday was a workout for those of us who didn’t go near a gym all summer. Still somewhat sleep deprived from Wednesday night, we followed Ben Hayes from the Environmental Center down an eight-mile stretch of the Susquehanna River from Montoursville to Muncy. It was a very hands on way to refresh ourselves about the geologic activity of the watershed. My favorite part of the day was our lunch stop on Kings Island where we explored the shallow side channel of the river, looking for small organisms. We collectively found four stages of life for a frog; a nematode, a two-legged nematode, a four-legged nematode with its tail and finally an adult frog.

A portion of our lecture was on the history of the river’s logging past; I found it interesting that the shallow river was full of fallen trees. Even though the day was fun and interesting it was nice to reach Muncy, my arms definitely appreciated the break.

Kayaks lined up on the bank of Kings Island with the North Branch of the Susquehanna River in the background